Table of Contents
Icelandic skyr is a creamy dairy product that resembles Greek yogurt. In fact, skyr is actually a type of cheese. Icelanders have been eating skyr for over 1000 years. Because it is made with skim milk, skyr is very high in healthy protein. It comes in a variety of different flavors in just about every Icelandic grocery store. Nowadays, skyr is sold globally, so you might be able to find some in your home country. We always serve skyr at Hotel Rangá’s breakfast buffet. What’s more, you can often find a delicious Icelandic skyr dessert recipe on the menu at the Rangá Restaurant.
Skyr for Breakfast, Lunch or Even Dessert
Icelanders often eat skyr as a snack or breakfast food, but it can also be used to make delicious desserts. One popular Icelandic skyr dessert is skyrterta. This no bake cake is made with a cookie base and a skyr topping. Below you will find a traditional Icelandic skyr dessert recipe straight from Hotel Rangá’s head chef. This Icelandic skyr dessert recipe makes a lovely kind of pudding that is served with oat crumble and berries. This is one of our most popular dessert offerings at the Rangá Restaurant. Now, you can even make it at home.
Skyr with oat crumble and berries
- 500 ml Heavy cream
- 185 g Sugar
- 1 Vanilla pod
- 3 Gelatine leaves
- 500 g Pure organic Skyr
- 125 g Oats
- 125 g Butter Room temperature
- 125 g Flour
- 125 g Brown sugar
- Place the gelatine leaves in a bowl with cold water and let it soak.
- Put the cream in a large pan with the sugar and vanilla pods and bring it to a boil.
- Take the pan from the heat. Drain the water from gelatine then add the softened gelatin to the pan of cream, mix well.
- Allow the mixture to cool down to 40-45 degrees before adding the Skyr.
- Add Skyr to the mixture carefully.
- Leave the mixture to cool for one hour then pour into individual bowls to serve.
Method Oat Crumble
- Mix all the ingredients in an oven proof bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Bake for 10 min and stir well, then allow to bake for a further 10 min and remove from oven and cool.
To view Hotel Rangá’s restaurant menu, we recommend our Rangá Restaurant page.