- Average low temperatures approx. 3°C (37°F).
- Average high temperatures 7°C (45°F).
- October is our wettest month, so expect rain.
- October 1st: Approx. 11 hours of daylight.
- The days shorten by an average of approximately 6 and a half minutes every day.
Dress for the Weather
Fall weather in Iceland can change very quickly, but this adventurous aspect of life on our island is something to enjoy rather than fear. Just make sure you are prepared with warm clothes, waterproof shoes and a good water-resistant jacket. A hat and mittens or gloves are also a necessity.
Subscribe To Our newsletter
Exclusive Offers & Latest News
Super Jeep Adventures in Þórsmörk
October is an excellent time to visit the Þórsmörk (“Thor’s Valley”) nature reserve, one of the most beautiful places in Iceland. An oasis in the highlands, Þórsmörk is nestled among the glaciers Eyjafjallajökull, Mýrdalsjökull and Tindfjallajökull. Exploring by Super Jeep is the best way to experience the valley’s phenomenal sights. The 4×4 jeep can cross rugged terrain and un-bridged rivers, and local guides will take you off the beaten path to see natural wonders.
Northern Lights and Stargazing Season
The Hotel Rangá observatory is open for the season! With a roll-off roof and two high-quality astronomical telescopes, our observatory allows guests to experience a detailed view of distant planets and stars. If we are lucky, fall’s darker nights will bring not only starry skies but also Northern Lights. Check out this blog post for tips about how to best photograph the aurora borealis.
Imagine Peace on October 9
The Imagine Peace Tower is an outdoor work of art conceived by Yoko Ono in memory of John Lennon. Each year, the tower projects a vertical beam of light over 4000 m into the sky on October 9, Lennon’s birthday. Watch this year’s lighting ceremony on Viðey Island, just outside Reykjavík.
Start planning your family vacation today with help from our front desk. Call: +354-487-5700 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recommendations: Travelling to Iceland in November
- Recommendations: Travelling to Iceland in December
- Recommendations: Travelling to Iceland in January
- Adventure tours with teens
- Adventure tours with kids